Patient meets scientist: David Taylor interviews Prof Fran Balkwil
BCI study led by Dr Pedro Cutillas featured on Genomeweb
A recently published study* in Molecular and Cellular Proteomics that investigated acute myeloid leukemia cells has been featured on a recent Genomeweb ProteoMonitor newsweekly.
The study led by Dr Pedro Cutillas from the Centre for Cell Signalling at Barts Cancer Institute completed a quantitative phosphoproteomic analysis that suggests resistance to kinase inhibitor therapies in cancer may be keyed by multiple pathways outside those targeted by the drug.
Phosphoproteomics provides large-scale and unbiased information of how active proteins (the products of genes) are in cancer cells.
The results of the study are important for designing therapeutic strategies for personalised cancer medicine. It shows that the testing-methods used for deciding the best course of therapy for each cancer patient will be more effective and accurate in predicting the right combination of drugs, if they are based on information provided by phosphoproteomics data.
For the full news article, please click here.
*Phosphoproteomic analysis of leukemia cells under basal and drug-treated conditions identifies markers of kinase pathway activation and mechanisms of resistance. Alcolea MP, Casado P, Rodriguez-Prados J, Vanhaesebroeck B and Cutillas P. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 2012 April; 11(4)
- BCI at the 17th Congress of the European Hematology Association - Amsterdam
- Prof John Gribben is an invited speaker at ASCO Annual Meeting 2012
- Dr Melania Capasso awarded the Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research Bennett Fellowship
- Dr Pedro Cutillas attending the 60th American Society for Mass Spectrometry conference - Vancouver, Canada
- BCI at the Keystone Symposia - Dublin, Ireland May 2012
- Prof John Gribben speaks at the Aberdeen Immunology Group
- Barts Haematologists Awarded International Research Mentorship Programme
- Dr Jude Fitzgibbon speaks at the joint ACC/CMGS Genetics Spring Conference 2012
- BCI at the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2012, Chicago IL
- Dr Inas El-Najjar presenting at the EBMT 2012 - Geneva, Switzerland