Dr Manit Arya
The main focus of my research is to identify molecular markers predictive of progression in penile cancer. I will study the expression of several markers in cancer specimens and will elucidate whether markers in serum/ plasma/ whole blood can predict dissemination of penile cancer. Also, my aim is to investigate whether genetic aberrations identified by sequencing can predict aggressive neoplastic disease. The identification of such markers would be unique research, which would significantly impact on clinical practice and improve patient outcomes.
I qualified from Manchester Medical School in 1992. Upon completing a surgical rotation I obtained my basic postgraduate qualification in general surgery, FRCS (Glasgow), in 1998. Subsequently, I entered into a period of research towards a MD(Res) degree at University College London investigating the role of chemokines and their receptors in the metastasis of prostate cancer (2000 - 2002). Following this, I entered a Higher Surgical Training Scheme in London obtaining the FRCS(Urol) in 2006 and completed my training as a Urological Surgeon, with a specialist interest in minimally invasive interventional uro-oncology, in 2008.
2011 Senior Lecturer in genitourinary uro-oncology funded by Orchid (male cancer charity)
- Kayes O, Ahmed HU, Arya M, Minhas S. Molecular and genetic pathways in penile cancer.
Lancet Oncol. 2007 May;8(5):420-9.
- Ahmed HU, Arya M, Muneer A, Mushtaq I, Sebire NJ. Testicular and paratesticular tumours in the prepubertal population. Lancet Oncol. 2010 May;11(5):476-83.
- Ahmed HU, Arya M, Levitt G, Duffy PG, Sebire NJ, Mushtaq I. Part II: Treatment of primary malignant non-Wilms' renal tumours in children.
Lancet Oncol. 2007 Sep;8(9):842-8.
- Ahmed HU, Arya M, Levitt G, Duffy PG, Mushtaq I, Sebire NJ. Part I: Primary malignant non-Wilms' renal tumours in children.
Lancet Oncol. 2007 Aug;8(8):730-7.
- Gommersall L, Hayne D, Lynch C, Joseph JV, Arya M, Patel HR. Allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for renal-cell cancer.
Lancet Oncol. 2004 Sep;5(9):561-7.
- Arya M, Ahmed H, Silhi N, Williamson M, Patel HR. Clinical importance and therapeutic implications of the pivotal CXCL12-CXCR4 (chemokine ligand-receptor) interaction in cancer cell migration.
Tumour Biol. 2007;28(3):123-31.
- Arya M, Patel HR, McGurk C, Tatoud R, Klocker H, Masters J, Williamson M. The importance of the CXCL12-CXCR4 chemokine ligand-receptor interaction in prostate cancer metastasis.
J Exp Ther Oncol. 2004 Dec;4(4):291-303.
- Arya M, Bott SR, Shergill IS, Ahmed HU, Williamson M, Patel HR. The metastatic cascade in prostate cancer.
Surg Oncol. 2006 Nov;15(3):117-28. Epub 2006 Dec 5.
- Bott SR, Arya M, Kirby RS, Williamson M. p21WAF1/CIP1 gene is inactivated in metastatic prostatic cancer cell lines by promoter methylation.
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2005;8(4):321-6.
- Hayne D, Arya M, Quinn MJ, Babb PJ, Beacock CJ, Patel HR. Current trends in bladder cancer in England and Wales.
J Urol. 2004 Sep;172(3):1051-5.
- Editorial board: Current Drug Therapy
- Reviewer: BJU Int