Barts Cancer Institute is internationally renowned in many areas of cancer research - click a tile to find out more about our work in each field
Barts Cancer Institute has a long tradition of pioneering research and innovation. Many surgical procedures were first discovered here as well as the use of radiotherapy to treat cancer.
By investing in and undertaking world-class research, we aim to prevent cancer and develop better diagnostic techniques and treatments. This will ultimately increase patient survival and enhance the quality of life for those with long-term disease.
A wide range of research is currently underway and includes:
- Therapeutic and diagnostic target identification and validation in both haematological and solid malignancies
- Clinical trials exploring new therapies
- The development of novel molecular approaches for diagnosis
- Classification and treatment of human cancers
- Investigations into the regulation of
tumour spread and host anti-tumour responses
We are recognised as one of the leading Cancer Research Institutions in the UK and are a Cancer Research UK Centre of Excellence - one of only 17 in the country.