Basic Surgical Skills Course
22-23 March 2018
This course has been designed to introduce surgical trainees to safe surgical practice within a controlled workshop environment. It aims to teach, assess and certify the ability of trainees to use safe and sound surgical techniques that are common to all forms of surgery.
The certificate of successful completion is issued by the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Open Surgery
- Endoscopic Surgery
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand and practise safe operating techniques, gowning and gloving.
- Understand and practise the correct techniques for laying safe surgical knots.
- Understand the characteristics and handling of surgical instruments.
- Understand that careful and sound aspects of technique are more important than simple manual dexterity or speed.
- Understand the principles of handling tissues and recognise differing requirements for differing sites (eg skin, bowel, abdominal wall, vessels and tendons).
- Understand and practise local anaesthetic techniques.
- Understand the principles of assessment, and primary surgical management of infected and contaminated soft tissues.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the principles behind the practical and safe use of electrosurgery devices.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the differences between open and endoscopic surgery, including the manipulation of instruments in a three-dimensional surgical environment while viewing a remote two-dimensional image.
- Practise visuospatial awareness involved in depth cueing and the ‘fulcrum’ effect of instrument manipulation.
Participants will receive:
- Pre-course reading and a DVD to prepare for the course and enable them to get the most out of the intensive 2 days
- Short introductory presentations for each topic, including step by step demonstrations (DVD or live) with an emphasis on the ‘4 stage’ technique of teaching a practical skill
- Small group workstations to focus on basic skills and techniques
- Hands-on practice with review sessions to consolidate skills
- Continuous formative feedback and close work with faculty
Who is this course for?
This course is strongly recommended for all surgical trainees who take up their first surgical appointment and is open to foundation doctors and core trainees intending a surgical career or surgically related career (FY1-CT2).
It is the responsibility of the course participant to ensure that they fall within the relevant criteria for the course as detailed above. If it is discovered that a participant’s experience is below the required level to attend the course, the College reserves the right not to provide the participant with a Certificate of Completion even if the individual has passed the course assessment.
The course has been agreed on an intercollegiate basis and trainees who complete the course will be issued with certification that will be reciprocally recognised by all four Royal Surgical Colleges.
- Early registration: £675 (1 month prior to course start date)
- Standard registration: £720
The fee includes lunch and refreshments. Cancellation policy applies - please see Terms and Conditions below.
How to Apply
Please pay the course fees in full and then complete the registration form below.
There are only 14 places available per course and we can only guarantee a place on completion of both registration and payment in full.
Methods of Payment
We accept the following methods of payment:
Please ensure you have paid online and then use your payment reference to complete the form below.
Terms and Conditions
Your place will not be secured until full payment has been made and your registration has been confirmed.
We regret we are unable to reimburse fees for cancellations within 2 weeks of the course start date.
Cancellation made with less than 5 (but more than 2) weeks’ notice prior to the course commencement, will incur 20% administration fee. The remaining funds will be reimbursed by cheque or bank transfer, upon receipt of written cancellation.
We reserve the right to cancel any of our courses and will endeavour to provide as much notice as possible in the unlikelihood of this happening. All course fees will be returned if the course is cancelled.
We have a limited number of places on each course and we can only confirm a place if payment has been received. Payments will be refunded if payment is received after the course is full.