Work For Us
We believe in providing the best for our employees, as they are the key to our success.
A wide range of benefits are available to staff in order to support their personal development and help them balance their personal and professional lives.
Academic and Research Careers
At the Barts Cancer Institute, we have a proven track record in the provision of high-quality, clinical and non-clinical training spanning the entire spectrum of career development in cancer research.
We aim to recruit the highest calibre of staff and students and we are committed to providing an excellent working environment to enable individuals to reach their full potential and can perform in competition with the best students and scientists nationally and internationally.
We achieve this by:
- Delivering an appropriate, coherent and comprehensive research training programme leading to a cadre of individuals with high-quality transferable skills.
- Provide the strong support required both in terms of quality infrastructure and in terms of mentoring capacity.
- Provide a feedback and tracking programme to determine intake, outcome, student destination and career development.
Please visit our vacancies section for current job, studentship and fellowship opportunities.
Our Senior Researchers also welcome informal enquiries from talented individuals wishing to further their career in cancer research. Please visit the Staff section to find out more about their research interests.
Professional and Support Careers
We have a range of professional, admin and technical roles, which offer essential support for our research, teaching and facilities.
- Competitive salary
- 30 days annual leave, plus UK public holidays and 4 College closure days
- Final salary pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- College nursery and childcare voucher scheme
- There are excellent opportunities for staff members to further their professional and personal development through The Learning Institute
- Travel bursary and grants for supporting researchers who are presenting work abroad
- The Barts Cancer Institute Social Committee arranges social events and activities for Institute staff and students, giving you the opportunity to meet new people across departments and enjoy what London has to offer.
Types of Roles
The following are examples of the type of roles we have in the Institute.
|Type of Role||Potential salary range||Minimum entry|
|PhD student||£15k - £21k
|Graduate Research Assistant||£28k - £36k||BSc|
|Clinical Research Fellow||£31k - £54k
+ London weighting
|Postdoctoral Research Assistant||£31k - £40k||PhD|
|Research Technician||£25k - £36K||BSc or relevant experience|
|Non Clinical Academic||£38k and upwards||PhD, teaching experience, grant income|
|Administration||£25k - £36k||Degree or equivalent experience|
|Management||£34k - £56K||Degree and relevant experience|
(Salaries based on approximations of 2013-14 QMUL salary scales, and subject to change)